Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Time to Knock Off

Next day the switchboard arrives on a truck and everybody gathers together to carry it off the truck into the plant room. My job is to connect the entire field wiring which had already been done into the switchboard and test it. I shudder, there are thousands of wires, some are marked, and others are not. It’ll take me weeks to sort that mess out. Weeks up here in Mt Isa, weeks in this heat, weeks away from my car, weeks away from Sue and the girls upstairs, I’m very depressed.
One of the Carrier ute's (pick-up)

Four o’clock and the boys tell me to ‘knock off’. Knock off what, I ask. Stop working they tell me, we’re going to the club. We all climb onto Bill’s ute and drive to the Irish club in town. Pots of beer are being delivered, and I throw mine back, it never even hits the side. Another follows the same way. Six o’clock and we’re back in the mess for dinner. It’s cooled off a little but it’s still hot. The meal is basic but tastes ok.

After dinner we go to town, there are four pubs, one on each corner of the town block. We have a couple of beers in each one, it’s still hot so we need them. We walk back to the sub-contractors barracks of Mt Isa Mines Ltd.


No comments:

Post a Comment