Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lunch is a problem

My staple lunch diet - Ham Sandwich
Everyone takes his or her own lunch to work, so do I. I make myself a ham sandwich in the morning but as the weeks go by I am getting bored with ham sandwiches, I start being more adventurous with my ham sandwiches by adding first cheese and then cheese and lettuce  with the ham still between two slices of square sliced bread, out of  greased paper. 

I keep seeing the word ‘Pies’ everywhere. Not sure what they are so I ask someone. I am told that they taste nice so I buy one and and discover what a meat pie is, so I start buying meat pies every day from the local Greek snack bar next door to Carriers but after a few weeks become sick of eating pies every day. Then someone suggests I try a hamburger, whatever that is. Again I buy one at the Greek place next door, like it  and start eating hamburgers every day.

Mealtimes are a problem as well. We still cook everything in tins but get sick of tinned sausages. We have no idea how to cook meat. Ben suggests we just buy one and cook it in water but that doesn’t sound right somehow. We ask the girls upstairs and they come down teaching us how to cook a steak. So gradually we try beef, then pork and slowly start to learn to cook for ourselves.

Ben says he likes rice. So do I. Jennifer says it’s easy, just boil water in a saucepan and add a cup of rice into the boiling water. We try but once the water is boiling I pour a cup full of rice into it. It doesn’t look much so I add a second cup. Ben says he wants two cups as well so we add another two cups.
We discover rice grows during boiling
The rice is expanding and the saucepan looks full so we boil more water in a second saucepan and move some of the rice to the new pan but still it’s getting bigger so a third saucepan is added and finally the frying pan. We call upstairs for help and the girls come down laughing, 'We told you to add one cup of rice not four', they say. After a good laugh, they stay for rice and a quarter stake. We’re learning. 

But we're happy, it is a great feeling to actually cooking food from scratch, rather than just opening tins. Sharing with our upstairs neighbours is just a bonus. 


I love Australia and although, we've been here for just a few weeks, I am certain I could settle here for good. 


4 comments:

  1. It was fascinating reading your first experiences with pies and hamburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well well ! So that's the secret of how to become the excellent chef that you are today!
    It is no wonder that I am such a poor cook, I never started with rice, anyhow I don't like rice. I started with learning how to boil an egg!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Too late to restart now I suppose???
    Cheers
    Colin (HB)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After lunch on Saturday I would say you have hamburgers down 'patty' oops, pat! Ann J

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful story. I chuckled all the way through.

    ReplyDelete