Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My first experience with the Swiss Society

Fred Pieren is the president of the Swiss Society of Queensland. He calls and tell us that the Swiss Consul General from Sydney is coming to Queensland and the club is going up to Binna Burra on Sunday for a picnic. Ben and I are invited to go along with them. On Sunday Morning we walk to Sue’s flat in Red Hill, and when Fred and the Consul General arrive we all climb into several cars to drive to Binna Burra. I end up sitting next to the Consul General in Fred’s car. He asked me when did I came to Australia and where do I work. I tell him where I work and he asks me if I know Urs. Of course, I reply, he is the chief electrical engineer of our company.

He’s not an engineer, the Consul General says, he’s an electrician, He used to work at Mt Isa Mines as an electrician. I’m starting wonder, is my boss lying? He told me he has an electrical degree from Zürich Technical High School. I will have to check that out. 
Binna Burra Gold Coast Hinterland

We’re driving up a very windy road into mountains. In front of us is another car with a CH sticker at the back. He puts his blinkers out at every bend. I think that’s strange.

In Binna Burra, there are lots of Swiss already there. A Bar-B-Que is in full swing and before long we’re into real Swiss Bratwürste, specially made by a Swiss butcher in Brisbane, potato and bean salads, it’s great to taste real Swiss food again. Shame there is no real Swiss beer.

Some bloke comes over to Ben and me and ask us when we came to Australia. Before long he points out to another chap in the crowd and tells us to be wary of him, he can’t be trusted, he says. We’re taken aback. This guy doesn’t know us and warns us of other Swiss people, very strange. Sue comes back with another sausage. I’m full.


The view over the Gold Coast Hinterland is fabulous, the rolling hills remind me a little of the Jura region in Switzerland but the vegetation is vastly different. There is real rain forest nearby and we take a short walk through it. I am fascinated. I will come back here to explore the area further.

Later the chap we’ve been warned about comes over and asks us if the other guy had said anything to us. You’re new here, he says I’ve never seen you here. So, if this other guy said anything to you, don’t believe him. He’s a liar, everyone knows that.  Ben and I look at each other, are these people for real? I think that's the last time I will join a Swiss outing.







No comments:

Post a Comment