Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Could I Be in Love?

Back at the Smugglers Inn, there are a lot of new guests; all the rooms are full to the delight of John and Marcia. There is a tour up from Australia in their own charter plane, an Ansett tour complete with captain and three hostesses. The staff is setting the dining room for the tour group and a large table on the verandah for the airline crew and Phil and me. There is not enough room in the dining room so Marcia sits us with the crew. We don’t mind.
Having a chat with an Ansett Hostie

I sit next to an Ansett hostess from Tasmania. She lives in Launceston but has been transferred to Papua New Guinea for a while. She is very nice and we get along fine. I find out that she hasn’t got a boyfriend and when she asks me I tell her that I haven’t got a girlfriend either. Gradually the others disappear to their rooms and we stay and chat on the verandah overlooking the lagoon until the early morning.

When they leave the next day, we exchange addresses and she asks me to visit her in Tasmania one day. Of course I will, I promise.


4 comments:

  1. Oh so dashing and debonair! Quite the Errol Flynn!!!
    Yes, the Lae Motor Inn was the hang out for the crews of Ansett and TAA! Delightful ladies!
    Colin (HB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Bill, having viewed my diaries of that long ago, in that place - glorious Lae, the airline crew people stayed at the Lae Travel Lodge. There was no such place as the Lae Motor Inn.
    Sorry for this misinformation.
    CFH

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Smugglers Inn was in Madang.
    Hey, I'm glad you didn't keep your promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CFH, The Smugglers Inn was in Madang not in Lae and that's where most Europeans stayed including the airline crews. It really was a magic place.

    ReplyDelete